http://www.cherokeephoenix.orgThere are 16 members on the Northeastern State University Cheer Squad. Six are Cherokee, including coach Paula Sloan. TESINA JACKSON/CHEROKEE PHOENIX
There are 16 members on the Northeastern State University Cheer Squad. Six are Cherokee, including coach Paula Sloan. TESINA JACKSON/CHEROKEE PHOENIX

NSU cheer coach seeks to make halftime exciting

Four Cherokee citizens and Northeastern State University Cheer Squad members hold cheer member and Cherokee citizen Brianna Payne during a practice as coach Paula Sloan watches. The squad practices also flexibility skills, tumbling skills, pyramids, stunts, side line cheers, the NSU flight song cheer and they even work with the NSU Pom Squad on a half time dance routine. TESINA JACKSON/CHEROKEE PHOENIX When it comes to trying out for the Northeastern State University Cheer Squad, students are required to have a minimum of two years of cheer experience, must have a minimum 2.0 grade point average and must be able to show flexibility and tumbling skills. TESINA JACKSON/CHEROKEE PHOENIX
Four Cherokee citizens and Northeastern State University Cheer Squad members hold cheer member and Cherokee citizen Brianna Payne during a practice as coach Paula Sloan watches. The squad practices also flexibility skills, tumbling skills, pyramids, stunts, side line cheers, the NSU flight song cheer and they even work with the NSU Pom Squad on a half time dance routine. TESINA JACKSON/CHEROKEE PHOENIX
Former Reporter
10/19/2011 07:39 AM
Video with default Cherokee Phoenix Frame
TAHLEQUAH, Okla.— Cherokee citizen Paula Sloan spent ten years coaching cheerleading at a high school level. After taking two years off, this is her first year coaching the Northeastern State University Cheer Squad.

“I had been out of coaching high school for two years and the opportunity arose to get back in coaching just through college,” Sloan said. “The coaches that were doing this before me are good friends of mine and they decided not to do it anymore and they kind of recruited me to come into it and it was just an opportunity to get back into coaching so I jumped all over it.”

Sloan is currently an administrator at Tahlequah High School and was also a cheerleader up until the ninth grade in school.

There are 16 members on the NSU Cheer Squad. Five of the members are Cherokee, including Sydney Sloan, Paula’s daughter.

Sydney, a junior, was recruited from another university by the previous NSU cheer coaches. This is currently her second year cheering for NSU. She attended Vian High School and like other members of the Cheer Squad, receives a scholarship from NSU.

The other Cherokees are Shelby Blossom, freshman, Harlie Adams, freshman, Erica Jackson, senior and Brianna Payne, junior.

“At NSU I got involved by coming to college here and my friends talked me into trying out and I thought the team was really good so I thought it would be a good experience for college, to get involved and meet more people,” Payne said.

Payne started tumbling when she was in the third grade and participated in middle school cheer and high school cheer at Keys High School. In fifth grade she started competing in All Star Cheerleading competitions, which is a national cheerleading competition, until she started college.

Payne said her favorite thing to do during practices and game day is flying, which requires being tossed into the air by the other squad members.

Flying is only one of the many things that the Cheer Squad works on during practice. After warming up, the squad works on flexibility skills, tumbling skills, pyramids, stunts, side line cheers, the NSU flight song cheer and they even work with the NSU Pom Squad on a half time dance routine.

“We like to bring unity together for the whole spirit staff and to make an exciting half time routine for all of NSU to enjoy but during our practices we work on flexibilities, stunt skills, tumbling skills, review of material, just anything to do to make the girls look their best during game day,” Paula said.

Paula said one of the biggest problems she has when it comes to practicing is the scheduling.

“These athletes are so busy, most of them have jobs in conjunction with holding down at least 15 hours to be a full time student,” she said. “They also have to have about six to eight hours of practice time, that’s morning workouts, we do two mornings a week and that’s 6 a.m. so scheduling is definitely a problem but they’re very dedicated and I really appreciate the time that they give. Scheduling is probably the biggest hurdle that we face.”

Another thing that Paula faces at cheer practices and on game days are the injuries that can occur.

“We just have to make sure everyone knows his or her role and that you’re very serious while you’re doing it, that you have the flexibility, that you have the strength, which is why it’s important to work out, to have that strength, that flexibility and those skills so that you don’t get injured but you do deal with injury,” she said.

When it comes to trying out for the NSU Cheer Squad students are required to have a minimum of two years of cheer experience, must have a minimum 2.0 grade point average and must be able to show flexibility and tumbling skills.

“I’m looking just for that well-rounded cheerleader with the great attitude, that does have a set of skills, that can be a part of a squad,” Paula said. • 918-453-5000, ext. 6139


03/23/2018 10:15 AM
TAHLEQUAH – A public celebration for the 2018 Class 3A state champion Sequoyah Lady Indians basketball team will be held at 6 p.m. on March 27 at The Place Where They Play. Fans and media are welcomed and encouraged to attend. The Lady Indians have won back-to-back state championships and three in the past four years (2015, 2017, and 2018).
12/11/2014 10:03 AM
BY STAFF REPORTS OKLAHOMA CITY – Judge Bernard Jones ruled on Dec. 11 to deny Oklahoma City Douglass High School’s request to replay the final minutes of their playoff game against Locust Grove High School. Douglass filed the challenge in Oklahoma County District Court after the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association voted against its request for a replay earlier this month. Douglass lost to Locust Grove in a playoff game in November after a referee enforced a penalty incorrectly. The court filing put a hold on part of the Class 3A playoffs until a decision could be made. Locust Grove is slated to play Heritage Hall in Sapulpa given there is no stay granted by the state Supreme Court. Douglass was given time to file an appeal.
10/22/2012 03:20 PM
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. – Sequoyah High School senior and football quarterback Brayden Scott has been nominated for the national Mr. Football competition presented by VYPE magazine and State Farm. Scott has attended Sequoyah Schools since the eighth grade and is expected to sign an official letter of intent in February to play football at the University of Memphis. While at Sequoyah, Scott was the starting quarterback on Team USA, and he holds Sequoyah Schools’ records for the most passing yards, 6,497, and 99 total touchdowns. As of press time, he had four games left in the regular season. One hundred players have been nominated for this honor. In October, that list was expected to be narrowed to 50 players with the top 20 getting an automatic advance to the semi-finals. Finalists will be selected in November. Anyone can go online to vote for a player. The number of votes that each player receives determines the winner. Each person can vote once daily until the contest ends. The winner will be announced in January. To vote for a player, visit <a href="" target="_blank"></a>.
03/21/2012 08:59 AM
BY KURT VOIGT Associated Press LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Even Elena Delle Donne couldn't stop Kansas' improbable NCAA tournament run. Delle Donne scored 34 points, but Angel Goodrich answered with 27 of her own for the 11th-seeded Jayhawks, who rallied in the second half for a 70-64 win over the Blue Hens on Tuesday night. Delaware's (31-2) only other loss this season was to No. 5 Maryland on Dec. 29. The school entered the tournament having never won an NCAA game before its opening-round win over Arkansas-Little Rock, in which Delle Donne scored 39 points in 30 minutes of action. Despite the success, the abrupt and unexpected end to the season was still hard to take. "This really has been a dream season and a dream team," Delle Donne said while fighting back tears. "The thing we're most disappointed about is just it being over, especially saying goodbye to our seniors. "I'm just sorry for the seniors and to my teammates, because we had a lot of fun." The Jayhawks (21-12), improbably, moved to the second weekend of the tournament for the first time since 1998. They'll face Tennessee on Saturday in Des Moines, Iowa. "When I was in the locker room, I told my teammates to pinch me," junior Aishah Sutherland said. They advanced by rallying in the second half behind Goodrich, who fell one short of her career high in scoring. The junior was 12 of 21 from the field, 3 of 6 on 3-pointers, and also added six assists. Goodrich had plenty of help from a Kansas defense that harassed Delle Donne throughout. The Jayhawks swarmed the 6-foot-5 junior, double- and triple-teaming her at times as they did their best to keep her from finding a comfort zone. Delle Donne finished 9 of 18 from the field, 15 of 18 from the free throw line, and also had 10 rebounds. The effort, however, wasn't enough to overcome a lackluster defensive effort that allowed the Jayhawks to shoot 50 percent (30 of 60) from the field — 17 of 28 in the second half. "Defensively, I definitely think we let up a lot," Delle Donne said. "Defense has been our whole thing all season, so when that was failing us, that's really why things went wrong tonight." The Jayhawks in the Sweet 16 seemed unlikely when the team's leading scorer Carolyn Davis went down for the season with a knee injury on Feb. 12. Kansas lost six of eight to end the regular season and was anything but a certainty to make the tournament, but the Jayhawks have made the most of their stay so far. It's the school's first tournament appearance in eight seasons under coach Bonnie Henrickson. "We've got a good team, but we have to find ways to win," Henrickson said. "We have to prove to the committee that we belong. We got to prove to them that we can win without her, and Angel has carried us and Aishah has been really, really good too." Delaware led 37-31 at halftime, but Kansas took control early in second half behind Natalie Knight. The freshman, who scored only five points in the Jayhawks opening-round win over Nebraska, was scoreless at halftime before scoring eight points in a row at one point to put Kansas up 50-43. That capped a 19-6 run to open the second half for the Jayhawks, and it was part of a 13-0 run that put them up 53-43 after a free throw by Chelsea Gardner, who finished with 10 points. Sutherland added 12 points and 11 rebounds despite battling foul trouble for much of the game while guarding Delle Donne. Delle Donne took control at that point with Delaware's season on the line. She scored 12 straight points, the last three on free throws after she was fouled on a 3-point attempt, to pull the Blue Hens within 59-57. They were never able to get closer, however, as Goodrich answered with nine of Kansas' next 11 points. Her last during the stretch came after a steal and layup on the fast break to put the Jayhawks up 68-57 — their largest lead of the game. Delaware was unable to get closer than six points after that. "We will be back," Blue Hens coach Tina Martin said. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
03/19/2012 09:34 AM
BY KURT VOIGT Associated Press LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Nebraska's return to the NCAA tournament was a short one. The sixth-seeded Huskers suffered through a dismal shooting performance and fell 57-49 to former Big 12 rival and 11th-seeded Kansas in the first round of the Des Moines Regional on Sunday. Nebraska (24-9), which left the Big 12 for the Big Ten after last season, was making its return to the tournament after a one-year absence. The school had performed well in reaching the Big Ten Tournament championship game against Purdue, but it hadn't played since that double-overtime loss to the Boilermakers on March 4. The Huskers looked rusty, shooting 20 of 61 (33 percent) from the field. Nebraska's top two scorers, Jordan Hooper and Lindsey Moore, were a combined 9 of 39 from the field — including 0 of 14 on 3-pointers. The Huskers were 1 of 19 on 3-pointers overall, with Emily Cady connecting on the team's only shot from behind the arc. "Lindsey makes those shots on most days," Nebraska coach Connie Yori said. "We don't go 1 for 19. We got a lot of looks at the basket. We had open 3s. We had open shots, and we just didn't make them. We couldn't knock them out." Kaitlyn Burke led the Huskers with 14 points and was one of four players in double figures, with Cady finishing with 10. Moore had 12 on 5-of-21 shooting, while Hooper had 11 and was 4 of 18 from the field, including 0 of 8 on 3-pointers. "We had open looks but we had trouble making them," Burke said. "We're capable, but we just didn't today." Angel Goodrich, meanwhile, made sure Kansas (20-12) stuck around for a while in its long-awaited return to the NCAA tournament. Goodrich scored 20 points to lead the Jayhawks to their first tournament win since 1999. The appearance was the school's first since 2000 — and its first in eight seasons under coach Bonnie Henrickson. "I've been blessed by an administration that supports what we've been trying to do," Henrickson said. "They recognize what we're trying to do and that we're about to turn the corner. "They believe in what we're doing and our coaches, our players, our staff and our team." The performance also offered a bit of relief after what had been a rough last month for Kansas, which narrowly made the tournament after losing six of its final eight games. Leading scorer Carolyn Davis injured her knee and was lost for the season in a loss at Kansas State on Feb. 12, and the Jayhawks' postseason fate was anything but certain after a first-round loss to Texas A&M in the Big 12 Conference tournament. Goodrich picked up the slack on Sunday, and she had plenty of help from in the form of 15 points and 16 rebounds from Chelsea Gardner. "I came out and was just excited about this game," Gardner said. Kansas moves on to face third-seeded Delaware and the nation's leading scorer, Elena Delle Donne, in the second round on Tuesday. Kansas didn't fare much better from the field than the Huskers, finishing 25 of 66 (38 percent) from the field. However, the Jayhawks made the plays they needed to in the final minutes after Nebraska cut the lead to 46-42 after a pair of free throws by Cady. The Huskers trailed 52-47 after Cady's 3-pointer, and they appeared to have the momentum after a turnovers by the Jayhawks with 1:19 remaining. Nebraska followed with a turnover of its own on the other end, one of 15 in the game, and Goodrich responded with a drive and basket on the other end to put Kansas up 54-47. She followed moments later with a pair of free throws, and Gardner added the final free throw to secure the Jayhawks' first NCAA tournament win since defeating Marquette in the first round in 1999. Henrickson took over Kansas in 2004 and had led the school to the WNIT five times in her seven seasons before this one, but she had never taken the Jayhawks to the NCAAs before this year. "We said, 'Raise your hand if you made a play,'" Henrickson said, and everyone in the locker room raised a hand. "That's what this time of year is about." Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
Multimedia Editor – @cp_mdreadfulwat
02/28/2012 08:05 AM
OKLAHOMA CITY – From childhood aspirations of becoming a professional wrestler to years of competing in local Toughman Contests, one Cherokee Nation citizen has reached her goal of becoming a professional heavyweight boxer. Paula Soap, 43, said she always wanted to fight professionally, so she began entering area Toughman Contests. “I started in Toughman in 2001,” she said. “I continued on there, and they told me I couldn’t fight anymore because I won too many in Muskogee. That was my limit from what they said.” With area contests closed to her, she competed in the Toughman World Championships, where she finished eighth out of 32 competitors. Despite her success with a record of 5-1 and world championship appearance, Soap never formally trained in the sweet science of boxing. Melissa Drywater, trainer and owner of Dawg Pound Fight Academy in Tahlequah, said Soap’s success at the Toughman Contests is unheard of with no formal training. “I met Paula about two years ago,” Drywater said. “She told me she was a Toughman fighter, so I started working with here. She was a brawler, and she is a tough woman for sure. But I saw that she had potential. She had a lot of potential and raw talent. She was just an undeveloped fighter.” Since beginning training, Drywater has turned Soap into a more polished boxer. “It’s so rewarding for me as her trainer to get to work with her and watch her develop from when she was just a Toughman brawler,” Drywater said. “Now, she’s a professional boxer. It’s amazing to see the development over the months in this past year.” Soap said training has been hard and she was naïve about it in the beginning. “I thought it would be easy, but training to be a boxer is a lot of cardio and lots of hard work,” she said. “I never thought it would be that way. I just went in and fought. That’s all I ever did.” The development Soap has shown has made it difficult to book professional fights. Within the last several months, opponents have cancelled scheduled bouts late leaving no time to find a replacement. It’s been discouraging for Soap to keep training for fights that never materialize, but she keeps a positive attitude. “I love fighting,” she said. “I want my name to be out there as a pro fighter. That’s all I ever wanted to be is a pro fighter.” Her hard work and dedication paid off on Feb. 18 at Remington Park in Oklahoma City as she made her professional boxing debut, facing Jenea Brant of Saint Joseph, Mo. Soap said she was nervous going into the fight and was pacing the floor a lot, but those nerves settled once she stepped into the ring. “They (nerves) just go away,” she said. “It’s always been that way. I don’t know what it is, but once you step in that ring, they just go away.” The match was scheduled for four, two-minute rounds. However, Soap only needed 1 minute, 45 seconds in the first round to win with a knockout. With her first pro fight out of the way, Soap said she would work harder and fight as long as she can. <p><i><center><a href=""></a></center></i></p> <p><i><center>918-453-5087</center></i></p>