2018 NAJF student applications extended through Feb. 14
NORMAN – The Native American Journalists Association is calling for student applications for the 2018 Native American Journalism Fellowship.
NAJA is committed to increasing the representation of Native journalists in mainstream media. NAJA supports and empowers members through the annual fellowship, which is open to current American Indian college and graduate students pursuing journalism degrees at a higher learning institutions.
NAJF is an opportunity for college and graduate students to deepen and broaden their reporting and multimedia skills, while learning from tribal journalists and news industry professionals from across the country. Selected fellows will have the option of gaining three hours of upper-level internship credit through their respective universities and NAJA.
Student fellows will receive:
• Multimedia training,
• Professional NAJA mentor,
• Skills for job-readiness,
• Connections to media jobs and internships through NAJA’s national network,
• Upper-level college credit hours, and
• Immersion in an on-site newsroom experience July 16-22 during the 2018 National Native Media Conference in Miami, Florida.
Once selected to participate in the program, NAJ Fellows will be responsible for:
• Attending the on-site, newsroom immersion training in Miami,
• Attending regular meetings with assigned mentor,
• Participating in all planned webinar trainings in advance of the on-site newsroom experience,
• Participating in online check-ins / trainings throughout the year,
• Writing/editing reporting assignments throughout the year for inclusion on the NAJA Native Voice website,
• Seeking media-focused internships, and
• Professional conduct: All fellows are required to be at all meetings on time and to act professional. If not, they will be dismissed from the program.
The extended deadline for submitting student applications is Feb. 14. Apply at http://www.naja.com/students/2018-native-american-journalism-fellowship/
Incomplete or emailed applications will not be accepted. For questions or inquiries about student-related programs, eamil NAJA Education Committee Chairwoman Dr. Victoria LaPoe at email@example.com