Descendants of Cherokee Seminary students to meet May 7
TAHLEQUAH – The Descendants of Cherokee Seminaries Students Organization will hold its annual reunion on May 7 at the Branscum Alumni Center located on the corner of Crafton and Cedar streets east of the Northeastern State University campus.
Registration will begin at 11 a.m.
This year’s guest speaker is Jack Baker, president of the National Trail of Tears Association and president of the board of directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society. He is also a former At-Large Tribal Councilor.
In October 1846, Principal Chief John Ross proposed the creation of two Cherokee Nation high schools or seminaries, one for males and one for females. Construction of the two schools began in 1847 with the Male Seminary located about a mile and a half southwest of Tahlequah and the Female Seminary located in Park Hill, about a mile and half south of town.
Fire destroyed the Female Seminary on Easter Sunday 1887. It was rebuilt north of Tahlequah and opened on May 7, 1889, which is why the seminaries organization holds its reunion every May 7 to commemorate the reopening of the seminary.
Following statehood in 1907, Oklahoma bought the Female Seminary in 1909, and it is now Seminary Hall, the centerpiece of NSU.
No one is certain when the May 7 reunions began, but CN citizen Jack Brown established the Descendants of Cherokee Seminaries Students Organization in 1975.
Brown was a graduate of the Male Seminary and served as the executive vice president of the Cherokee Seminaries Students Alumni Association. After he noticed the number of seminary students fading, he wanted to get alumni descendants involved in association activities. The name of the organization was officially changed to the Descendants of Cherokee Seminaries Students Organization in 1984.
For reservations or information, call 918-458-2143 or visit NSUalumni.com