Cherokee Nation taking school clothing aid applications by mail
TAHLEQUAH – The Cherokee Nation’s Family Assistance will again give out school clothing vouchers to eligible children through its Clothing Assistance Program this summer, and applications are available until June 15.
According to the CN website, the Clothing Voucher Program is funded through the Tribal Council and has been implemented through Human Services since 2006. The goal is to assist families with back-to-school expenses by providing financial assistance for school clothes for the children’s first day school.
In the past, eligible school-aged children have received $100 Visa gift cards. Eligibility requirements and documentation include:
• Students must be CN citizens with copies of tribal citizenship cards;
• Must live within the tribe’s jurisdiction verified by a utility bill, not exceeding 30 days from application date, that shows physical or service address;
• Student must be in grades kindergarten to 12 for the 2020-21 school year. Kindergarten student must be 5 years old before Sept. 9;
• Provide proof of school enrollment for each child;
• Application must be completed by parent or legal guardian, providing proof of ID;
• Legal guardians must provide proof of guardianship;
• Provide copies of income verification for all household members; and
• Household must meet income guidelines.
The vouchers must be spent on school clothing and not on accessories such as backpacks or fragrances. The vouchers have no expiration dates and can be used during the state’s tax-free weekend of shopping from July 31 to Aug. 2.
“We mailed out applications to those who were approved last year in February and have received more than 650 returned,” Family Assistance Department Manager Angela King said. “Those who were approved last year are asked to submit their applications or if they have misplaced it, they can request another application from Human Services or download a copy from our website.”
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, applications are available online at https://cherokee.org/all-services/human-services/family-assistance/school-clothing-assistance-program/
For information, email email@example.com
Mail applications to Cherokee Nation Family Assistance, Attn: School Clothing Program, P.O. Box 948, Tahlequah, OK 74465.