Fort Smith National Historic site increases entrance fees

BY STAFF REPORTS
05/28/2018 04:00 PM
FORT SMITH, Ark. – The National Park Service has announced the Fort Smith National Historic Site will modify its entrance fees to provide additional funding for infrastructure and maintenance needs to enhance the visitor experience.

Effective June 1 the entrance fees to the park’s Visitor Center exhibits will be $10 per person, an increase of $3. An annual Fort Smith National Historic Site park pass will cost $30. All the money received from entrance fees remains with the NPS with at least 80 percent of the revenue going to Fort Smith National Historic Site.

Revenue from entrance fees remains in the NPS and helps ensure a quality experience for all who visit. At the Fort Smith National Historic Site, at least 80 percent of entrance fees stay in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. The remaining 20 percent is shared with other national parks for projects.

In response to public comments on a fee proposal released in October, there will be a modest increase for all entrance fee-charging parks, rather than the higher peak-season fees initially proposed only for 17 highly visited national parks.

The additional revenue from entrance fees at Fort Smith will improve walking paths, update and develop interpretive exhibits, replace the Visitor Center’s elevator, improve accessibility and other projects that directly benefit park visitors.

Culture

BY TRAVIS SNELL
Assistant Editor – @cp_tsnell
08/02/2018 03:58 PM
The Cherokee Phoenix will accept concepts from arti...

BY STAFF REPORTS
11/08/2018 03:52 PM
The symposium will present the media of Cherokee visual arts throughout time and bring togeth...

BY LIZ SCHLEMMER
WUNC
11/08/2018 08:24 AM
The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians is tr...

BY WILL CHAVEZ
Assistant Editor – @cp_wchavez
10/30/2018 09:21 AM
The book emphasizes individual leadership, the struggle...

BY STAFF REPORTS
10/29/2018 12:59 PM
The Cherokee Phoenix receives the Stalwar...

BY LINDSEY BARK
Reporter
10/26/2018 08:16 AM
Documenting Cherokee fluent speaker i...