TAHLEQUAH – The Cherokee Nation has provided hundreds of housing opportunities to its citizens through a rent-to-own program for the construction of new, single family homes.
Started in 2012, the New Construction Homeownership Program is operated by the Housing Authority of the Cherokee Nation. Approximately 800 units have been built under the program, said Jerri Killer, the HACN’s interim executive director.
“Housing Authority of the Cherokee Nation’s New Construction Homeownership Program is a program that was developed and designed to provide homeownership opportunities for Cherokee families,” Killer said. “This program offers a set payment option allowing the family to rent to own the home. The payment amount also includes costs for taxes and insurance. The houses are designed with either two, three or four bedrooms, which the family chooses.”
To qualify, applicants must not already own a home, or their current home must be in “substandard condition,” according to a program overview.
“For the purposes of this program, a single wide mobile home would be considered sub-standard,” a list of requirements states, also noting that a home inspection is needed. “Houses are based on a basic floor plan of a modest size. To the greatest extend feasible, homes will be evenly distributed across all of the Cherokee Nation.”
Preference is given to Cherokee families that own land suitable for new home construction and can be deeded to the housing authority.
“HACN remains the owner of the property for the life of the agreement thereby making the unit eligible for Impact Aid for public schools,” Killer said. “Once the family has met their obligations of the agreement, HACN will deed the home to the family.”
The term of the New Home Construction rent-to-own agreement is 30 years, unless a shorter term is agreed upon between all parties.
Requirements during the application process include:
• Verification of Cherokee Nation citizenship (blue card);
• Copies of Social Security card(s) for each household member over 5 years of age;
• Copies of government-issued photo identification cards for head of household and spouse;
• Income verification for every household member over the age of 18;
• Documentation to show financial ability to support a fixed monthly payment;
• Copies of warranty deed (if currently own land), and/or title to mobile home;
• Verification of disability if requesting a handicap accessible unit.
For information, call 918-456-5482, toll free at 1-800-837-2869 or visit www.hacn.org.
ᏓᎵᏆ – ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᎢᎸᏍᎩ ᎢᏍᎪᎯᏥᏈ ᏗᏤ ᏗᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᏚᎾᏛᏅᎢᏍᏓᏁᎳ ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᎠᏁᎳ ᎾᎿ ᏧᎾᏙᎵᏛ ᎾᏃ ᎤᏅᏒ ᏧᎾᏤᎵ ᎢᏗᎦᎵᏍᏗᏍᎩ ᏩᏟᎢᎶᎯᎯ ᎾᎿ ᏌᏊᎢᏊ ᎠᏓᎦᏰᎵᎨ ᏱᎦᏁᎳ ᏏᏓᏁᎸᎢ ᎤᎾᏙᏢᏒᎢ.
ᏔᎵᏍᎪᎯ ᏔᎳᏚ ᎤᏕᏘᏴᏌᏗᏒ ᏥᎨᏒ ᎤᎾᏙᏢᏁ (ᏗᏤ ᏧᎾᏁᏍᎨᏗ ᎤᎬᏩᎵ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬᎢ) ᎾᎿ ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᏗᎾᏁᏍᎨᏍᎩ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬᎢ. ᏢᏛᏎ ᏁᎵᏥᏈ ᎢᎦ ᏚᎾᏁᏍᎨᎯ ᎥᏍᎩᎾᎿ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬᎢ, ᎠᏗ Jerry Killer, ᏄᎬᏩᏳᏌᏕᎩ ᎠᏯᎢ ᎾᏊ ᎨᏒᎢ.
ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᏗᎾᏁᏍᎨᏍᎩ ᎾᎿ ᎢᏤ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬ ᏧᎾᏤᎵ ᏚᏁᏅᏒ ᏩᏟᎢᎶᎯ ᎠᏂᏏᏓᏁᎸ ᏚᎾᏙᏢᏒ ᎤᎬᏩᎵ, ᎠᏗ Killer. “ᎯᎠᏃ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬᎢ ᎠᏎᏢᎯ ᎤᎾᏈᏗ ᎠᎾᏙᎵᏍᎬ ᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᎤᏅᏌ ᎤᎾᏤᎵ ᏩᏟᎢᎶᎯᎯ. ᎠᎾᏈᏱᏍᎬᏃ ᏓᏠᏯᏍᏗ ᎠᏰᎵᏗᏈᏗ ᎨᏒ ᎠᎴ ᎫᏓᎸᏙᏗ. ᎯᎾᎿ ᏗᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᏔᎵ, ᏦᎢ, ᏅᎩᎴᎢᎩ ᏗᎧᏅᏑᎳ ᏗᏒᏍᏗ ᎤᎾᏑᏰᏍᏗ ᎠᏂᏏᏓᏁᎸᎢ.” ᎦᎵᏦᏕᏃ ᏲᏚᎵ, ᎥᏝ ᎦᏳᎳ ᏤᏅᏒ ᏣᏤᎵ ᎢᏳᎵᏍᏙᏗ ᏱᎩ, ᎾᎴᏱᎩ ᏗᎾᏁᏍᎨᏍᎩ ᎤᏂᎪᏩᏛᏗ ᎤᏲᏨ ᎨᏒ ᎯᏁᎸᎢ.
ᎯᎠᏃ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬ ᏯᏂᎪᏩᏘ ᏌᏊᎢᏊ ᎢᏯᏖᏂ ᏱᎩ ᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᎦᏂᏏᏂᏓᏍᏗ ᏱᏁᎳ ᎤᏲᎢᏳ ᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᏳᏁᎵᏌ ᎾᎿ ᎤᎪᏗ ᏚᏃᏪᎸ ᎥᏍᎩ ᏱᎪᏪᎳ, ᎾᏊᏃ ᏯᏂᎪᎵᏱ ᏤᏅᏒᎢ. ᏗᎦᎵᏦᏕᏃ ᏧᏠᏱᎭ ᎢᏧᏍᏗ ᏂᏓᏅᏁᎰ ᏓᎾᏁᏍᎨᎲᎢ ᎣᏍᏓ ᎢᏗᏗᎩᏗ. ᎢᏗᎦᏘᎭ ᏙᏛᎾᏁᏍᎨᎯ ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᎢᎬᎾᏕᏂ.”
ᎠᏂᏣᎳᎩ ᏏᏓᏁᎸᎢ ᏚᎾᏙᏢᏒ ᎦᏓ ᏧᏂᎯ ᎠᎬᏱ ᏙᏓᎨᎦᏁᏍᎨᎵ ᏗᏤ ᏚᏁᏅᏒᎢ ᎾᏃ ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᏗᎾᏁᏍᎨᏍᎩ ᎤᎾᏓᏡᎬ ᎦᏓ ᏚᏂᎲ ᏚᏂᏂᏕᏍᏗ.
“ᏦᏍᎪᎯ ᎢᏧᏕᏘᏴᏗ ᎢᎪᎯᏗ ᏧᏅᏓᏁᏤᎸ ᎨᏐᎢ, ᎬᏂ ᏍᏆᎳᎯᎨᏍᏗ ᎢᏳᏅᏁᏗ ᏱᏚᎾᏓᏁᏤᎳ ᎢᏧᎳ ᏗᎬᎦᏗ.
ᏚᎵᏁᏨ ᎢᏯᏛᏁᏗ ᎪᏪᎵ ᏛᎧᎵᏏᏍᎬᎢ:
- · ᎪᏪᎵ ᎧᏃᎮᏍᎩ ᏣᎳᎩᎯ ᎠᏰᎵ ᎨᎳ ᎨᏒᎢ (ᏌᎪᏂᎨ ᏆᎾᏲᏍᏗ)
- Social Security ᏆᎾᏲᏍᏗ (ᏗᏆᎾᏲᏍᏗ ᎴᏱᎩ) ᏗᏟᎶᏍᏔᏅ ᎠᏂᏏᏴᏫᎭ ᏏᏓᏁᎸᎢ ᎤᎾᏙᏢᏒᎢ ᎯᏍᎩ ᎤᎶᏒᏗ ᎢᏳᎾᏕᏘᏴᏗ ᏱᎩ.
- · ᎠᏰᎵ ᎤᏙᏢᏒ ᎣᏏᏳ ᎤᏰᎸᏅ ᏗᎨᎦᏟᎶᏍᏔᏅ ᎠᏍᎦᏯ ᎠᎴ ᎤᏓᎵ ᎠᏠᏯᏍᏗ.
- ᏂᎦᏓ ᎠᏂᏏᏴᏫᎭ ᏏᏓᏁᎸ ᎤᎾᏙᏢᏒ ᏁᎳᏚ ᏳᎪᏗᎴᏱᎩ ᎢᏳᎾᏕᏘᏴᏗ ᎢᎦ ᎠᏃᏢᏍᎬ ᎠᏕᎳ.
- · ᎪᏪᎵ ᎬᏂᎨᏒ ᎢᎬᏁ ᎢᎦ ᎠᏕᎳ ᎠᏃᏢᏍᎬ ᏏᏅᏗ ᎢᏳᏓᎵ ᏰᎵᏃ ᎦᏳᎾᏈᏗ ᎨᏒᎢ.
- · ᏗᏟᎶᏍᏔᏅ ᎦᏙ ᎦᏂᏙᏗ (ᎢᏳᏃ ᎤᎾᏤᎵ ᏱᎩ ᎦᏙᎯ) ᎾᎴ ᏱᎩ ᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᎦᎾᏏᏂᏓᏍᏗ ᎦᏓ ᎦᏂᏙᏗ ᏱᏚᏂᎾᎢ.
- ᎪᏪᎵ ᎧᏃᎮᏍᎩ ᏗᏂᏲᎤᏟ ᎨᏒ ᎢᏳᏃ ᏗᏂᏲᎤᏟ ᎤᎾᎵᏍᏕᎸᏙᏗ ᎦᎵᏦᏕ ᏯᏂᏘᏲᎯᎯ.
ᏳᎪᏗᏃ ᎡᏣᏃᎯᏎᏗ ᏱᏣᏚᎵᎭ, ᎠᎭᏂ ᏫᏣᏝᏃᎮᏗ (918) 456-5482, ᎠᏎᏊᏃ
1-800-837-2869. ᎯᎠᎴᏱᎩ www.hacn.org.
– TRANSLATED BY DENNIS SIXKILLER