TAHLEQUAH, Okla. -- According to certified results, At-Large Tribal Council candidates Wanda Hatfield and Betsy Swimmer will face each other in the July 25 runoff.
Election Commission officials posted results showing Wanda Hatfield leading with 25.94 percent or 1,057 votes, while Betsy Swimmer was second with 18.9 or 770 votes.
"We're very excited about it," Hatfield said. "We're already planning what we're going to do next."
Hatfield, from Oklahoma City, said the At-Large race was clean, respectful and all online comments were kind and professional.
"It was a race that I feel like there were 10 very qualified candidates, and I think we all worked very hard," she said.
Swimmer, of Broken Arrow, said she felt privileged the Cherokee people have confidence in her.
"I will work very, very hard to make sure that they have proper representation," she said. "We had some really wonderful candidates running, so with that in mind I certainly feel like it's a great honor to have been selected."
According to the certified results, the vote breakdown for the remaining At-Large candidates were:
* Shane Jett with 17.6 percent or 717 votes,
* Deborah Reed with 7.98 percent or 325 votes,
* Tommy Jones with 6.82 percent or 278 votes,
* Pamela Fox with 6.06 percent or 247 votes,
* Benjamin McKee with 6.06 percent or 247 votes,
* Linda Leaf-Bolin with 4.71 percent or 192 votes,
* Darell R. Matlock Jr. with 4 percent or 163 votes, and
* Trey Brown with 1.94 percent or 79 votes.
The EC met on June 29 to certify the general election results.
Runoff absentee ballots will be mailed on July 13-14 and the runoff election will take place on July 25.
All successful candidates are set to be sworn into office on Aug. 14, according to the Cherokee Nation's election timeline.